Monday, July 18, 2011

because I Care...

So today was a very hard day for me- physical wise... I have been in SO MUCH pain that seriously I wanna first punch someone and then break down into tears... Being pregnant- at times- is seriously over-rated! I can not wait for this journey to be over and I can coo and ahh at my little potato... which I am still voting for the name Jack- but that is another discussion for another day!!

So... kids hit their meltdown hour- which is SO conveniently at the dinner hour... and this momma just couldn't take it, so I went to go get the big dawg a.k.a- Daddy!!!

Well each child of mine had a nice little talking to and whadda ya know... hmm they sure did seem to understand that momma wasn't just talking to hear herself talk! In the middle of the "lectures" I mentioned that Lilly was having a hard time keeping focused on her math work and how she just gives up and finds a way to avoid it.
***Her math book is her summer school to help her keep on track for 6th grade- very important**
Well as daddy went thru her stuff he started noticing some pretty obvious mistakes... When asked where her work was, she said she did it on another sheet of paper... ok ... fine... so further into the book, he realized that the answers she was writing was just RANDOM freaking numbers... and then CONFESSED that was exactly what she was doing.... WHY would she do that?? because she didn't want to do it. OH good Lord...

So we erased 35 pages of blatantly wrong answers and gave her the news that if this was the way she was going to act and be- she was NOT going to Florida. She was given 2 days to finish her work- CORRECTLY or she was going to stay home and work all thru summer- LIKE SHE WAS SUPPOSE TO DO!

Now.... I am sure some of you are going to rant and rave about how WRONG we are as parents to do such a thing to her... well get this. .... As any child of mine, they will be respectful and responsible. This math is not a new thing for her- it is her basic math she has been doing- nothing new. I do not see the need for me to sit by her side or look over her shoulder to make sure she is doing it correctly. If you fail to do your responsibilities, well then my friend, you fail to have your cake!!

Now yes, poor Lil was in tears- for good reasons. We do NOT put up with lying or cheating at all in this house. That will get you no where but trouble. As much as I want to see her go on vacation and have a great time and get all spoiled like they do..... her schooling is MUCH more important and I will not stand for it to be any other way. She is a child that has a more difficult time learning and staying on task, and we as parents have not worked our butts off to get her where she is so she can lie and cheat just to go to Florida.

i had to explain to her that she means the world to me and as much as I do want to see her have some fun in the sun, SHE is much more important than that. In fact, I told her that if her "dad" felt the same way, that he too would want to see her succeed and spend his 1 week off up HERE while she is still able to continue with her summer school AND have some fun!!

In my eyes- the only eyes it matters- this situation is called R E S P O N S I B I L I T Y

Now... you can think what you want and say what you want back to us as parents.. Yes, I am sure we are being "harsh" or maybe not being fully understanding to an 11 year old girl, but the fact remains is we have rules in this house... and we fully expect each one to follow them.

We love our children so very much- which is probably why we are hard on them, but we give them so much love and support. We don't have high expectations for our children... we still want them to be kids, but we do want them to succeed in life... no matter if they want to be just a wife, a doctor, a baseball player or a pizza maker..... we LOVE them deeply.


We did call Lilly's "dad" and I am SURE he had a few things to say when we got off the phone.. I know I would if I was in his shoes, but I PRAY that he sees the importance of this matter and him himself makes the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment